Yesterday the sun came out and the day warmed up. The perfect weather for going into my swarm’s box and adding the much needed additional frames. When I had set the bait box up, I only added 4 frames with drawn comb on the left side. The right side, that the entrance was on, I did not put frames so the swarm would have room to move in. I had watched quite a few YouTube videos and I saw a few beekeepers do this. Seemed like a good idea. I guess it is as long as you don’t wait too long before you add the remaining frames in so the bees don’t build on the lid. Since I waited a month before going into the box, they had built quite a bit of comb on the underside of the lid. If I ever wanted to be able to add another level to the hive and collect honey, I would have to separate the comb and do my best to put the comb on frames. This was the first time I had ever attempted it, and it was a bit chaotic to say the least. I was going purely on what the wonderful people at my favorite bee store, Bee Kind in Sebastopol, had told me. Mind you, they gave me a lot of information and I did not write it down. I am sure if any seasoned beekeepers see these pictures they would have a few words for me. I did the best I could at the time, and I just hope it works.  The job only took me 15 minutes, if that, but a lot of comb was mangled and I lost a few bees. The scraps of comb I couldn’t save, I added to the top feeder for them to recycle. This morning they are very quiet. I haven’t seen a bee come out yet. I am worried. It might just be too early and cold for them, or they might just be hard at work with repairs. I’m not feeling too confident though.


The Swarm Built Comb On The Lid Part 1
All Is Forgiven

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This